Sunday, June 5, 2011

FROM IZMIR, TURKEY

Sunday, June 5th

Sunday is the day to worship our Lord and Savior, and I had a great worship experience this morning! I could not understand the words, but my spirit was moved by the Holy Spirit as I listened to the believers, Turkish believers, along with some Koreans who live here, pour their heart out in worship.

The Church is pastored by Ismail Serinken and wife, Angelea. And of course their three children, from ages 12 - 2. (Two boys and a girl – I’ll give you their names later. Why, later? Do I have to really answer that question? That is what I thought!) Ismail is Turkish and his wife is from Romania. She came here as a missionary from her Romanian Church, met and married Ismail.

Counting the 15 of us, there were about 50-60 in attendance. They own their own building (a room on the third floor of a nice building as well as a coffee house about three doors to the left of their Church. There is so much to tell, but it would be so much more meaningful with pictures, and I am very tired, so it will have to wait.

Quickly now, we had a delicious Turkish meal and then visited the site of an ancient fortress on a high hill in Ankara. It dates back to the time of the Hittites, which takes you back before the entrance of the Israelites into Palestine. It has been rebuilt several times but the foundation is Hittite.

A quick one hour flight then put us in Ismir, the ancient city of Smyrna and that is where I am presently.

Ismail has joined us for the rest of our journey through the Seven Churches of Revelation, which begins tomorrow.

So, I am stopping to get the rest – the walking was tough today up the hill and upon the walls of the fortress.

God bless,

Dr D

No comments: