Sunday, March 11, 2012

Nicole Kelley From Peru

Wednesday 3/7/12-Sunday 3/11/12 We arrived safe in Lima, Peru on Wed about 11:20 p.m. with a near perfect flight...other than the lady that sat in front of me (Nicole) having hair that hung almost to the floor when she sat. She kept flinging her hair and it would hit my knee. I finally had to ask a flight attendant to ask her to keep her hair in front of her. After arriving, we gathered our 9 bags and headed to customs, praying for a green light. For those of you that don't know, a green light means you and your bags can exit the airport without having your bags opened in front of the whole world. ;-) We got a red light. However, after putting our bags on the x-ray machine, they let us leave without opening them! YAY! The ride to Jicamarca was interesting. It's been 15 years since I've been to South America, but, the way they drive, the rules for driving (or lack of), the traffic, it is not something you forget. And, you really cannot prepare someone who has not been for what to expect. Caleb and Cole were very quiet on the drive. It seemed like rush hour at midnight when it was not even close to what it is like during their rush hour. When someone asked the boys what they were thinking Caleb said it was not what he had imagined. We arrived at the Hodges house in Jicamarca around 1:15 a.m., but did not get to bed until about 3:00 a.m. We did not unpack anything that night, and if you know my mom, she likes to unpack immediately. Thursday morning, the boys slept until 11. While they played with Eliel (8) and Jordan (5), mom and I unpacked, and tried to get the bags of goodies ready for the ladies retreat a week and a day later. While I was filling bags, it appeared we were missing some stuff. We knew TSA had been through a few of our bags, and we were worried they had taken some things. Long story short, one bag had been moved to he little boys room where I was filling bags. I turned around and realized we had one unopened bag. Praise the Lord, all of our belongings and goodies arrived safe. That evening there was Bible Study at Iglesia Vida (Life Church) and mom shared. I called her long winded because she shared for an hour. I had told her she better be funny because I was afraid I'd fall asleep. lol! She wasn't funny, but it WAS good and I didn't fall asleep! While the adults had Bible Study, Caleb and Cole showed a movie to the kids, played outside with them, and passed out candy. Friday David and Ceci fixed us a big breakfast with eggs and sausage. They weren't sure we'd like the sausage since it isn't seasoned like in the states, but it was good. Then, we went to Lima to a Peruvian Pastor's house, Augustin and Jessica. They have a pool and a basketball court so it was a fun day or adults and kids. Two of the pastors' kids got out of school early since we were coming. We ordered pizza from Papa John's and the guys picked up Inka Cola as well as other soda's and ICE. I think I was as happy for the ice as I was for the coke zero. Pastor Augustin also made us a frap. It was better than starbucks...and if you know me, and know I like my starbucks, that is saying a lot! After we left there, we went to the upscale mall to eat in the food court, and walk around. Saturday, after lunch, Caleb, Cole, David, and Ceci and I went to the Metro - their grocery store. It's similar to a Walmart because they sell clothes, appliances, electronics, and food. Cole and Caleb were quiet, and kind of strange acting. David was picking on them to get them going, and they just stood there and looked at him. I figured they must be really tired. When we got back to the house, mom fixed the boys some noodles with chicken. It didn't take long and they were back to normal. We decided there bodies were starved for protein. That night we showed the movie "Soul Surfer" at the church. The Hodges nieces, Jovana, Teresa, and Xiomara, spent the night. It didn't take long and the 2 girl cousins (who speak more English then the boys speak Spanish, but that isn't saying much), and 2 boy cousins (all very close in ages) were playing uno. Sometimes Eliel would translate for them. Jovana gave pedicures and manicures. Sunday, I love worshipping with other Christians. And, it's no different when there is a language barrier. When it comes to your love for Jesus, that barrier is gone. Today was my day to teach. If you know me, you know I was nervous. Caleb asked, during Praise and Worship, if today was my day, when I said yes, he said, "Good luck". And grinned. He had asked the other day if I was nervous, and when I said yes he said his mom would be too. I was nervous until I got on the platform and got started. I had notes on my handy iPad, but, it was definitely the Holy Spirit on me that allowed me to teach for (my mom timed to get me back for timing her...lol) 53 minutes!! I couldn't believe it when she told me! Caleb and Cole along with Teresa, Xiomara watched another video with the kids and played games. Kids don't think about the language barrier, they just do what they can to communicate without feeling silly. This afternoon the 2 sets of cousins, along with Eliel and Jordan climbed the mountain, and have played games all afternoon. Jovana asked her sister and cousin how the 4 of them communicate. They said, "We use our hands." However, I'm writing this downstairs, and upstairs I hear a lot of communication going on. We are having a fabulous time. Please continue to pray for us this week. On Friday, mom and I will be taking the ladies from the church on a women's retreat. The boys will be staying in Jicamarca with David and his 3 boys to help take care of the kids' whose moms will be enjoying a weekend away. Nicole

1 comment:

Gayle Hodges said...

I am sooo excited, I can vision you guys there,sitting at the dining room table drinking coffee and eating, the kids climbing the mountain,the ladies jibbering and giggling, Eliel translating and Jordan being our little comedian...isn't it awesome how the boys can swop languages so fast... I love the people there. and their love back is awesome... Thank you Nicole I love reading all the blogs.. God Bless and we'll be praying xoxox to all...