Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday, February 13

BUSY! WARM! GOOD! EVEN RAIN!

I say “rain” because for the last 24 hours we have had what we would call “an off and on again sprinkle,” but here it is “RAIN!” It is a very, very rare thing to have any such indication of rain and it is a double miracle for it to happen in the summer. This region is a desert on the side of the Andes toward the Pacific Ocean. Even in what they call their “rainy” season, it does not rain but only mists, mists and mists some more. They are all surprised and talking about it.

Today was a full day of activities here at the retreat site. “SITE!” Did I say “site”? YUP! I mean at the home of the Pastor! In his house. In his yard. In his Church facility. In his mother-in-laws sports arena (she has a large pool, a volleyball court, a small soccer court, a basketball court! This woman is in her seventies and at least once a week she holds court for her friends to play volleyball. She is the owner of a large wood processing and distribution factory. The wood is beautiful – I know I should be able to tell you the kind of wood, but my brain is “woody” and I do not know. Anyway, back to today’s activities.

Up at 7; devotions at 8 (Marilyn got drafted ten minutes prior to do the ladies devotions); breakfast at 9 (a Peruvian crusty roll with avocado) and a cappuccino (better than “fivebucks”; first service ast 10 (I spoke); lunch at 1; sports at 2; seminar session at 4:30; supper at 6:30; service at 7 (I spoke); hot dogs and Peruvian sausages after; devotions at 11 (Marilyn just got drafted again and this time without preparation time) and now time to allow it all to settle down, write this blog and then finish my message for 10:00 tomorrow.

It has been very interesting to see the new faces of the youth of Nuevas Fuerzas (spelled correctly today, but not in the first blog from Peru – sorry but my Spanish needs more work (if that is what you call it, but is more like a miracle). We found out that many of the youth here at this retreat are not really a part of the local Church, but come here to be fed, be accepted and recognized as valuable. You cannot tell by looking who belongs and who does not. That is beautiful to watch and be a part of.

There is so much to do and so many people to see and the time is moving too fast for me. I can see that it will necessitate a return to Peru probably two more times this year or more. We now have eighteen (18) schools in operation and more in the wings. Chile is opening and another country but I cannot remember which one even though Marco Aroni (our Peruvian coordinator) told me. There are at least two schools I promised to return to be there to hand out their first year certificates and others who are standing in line with the same request.

We found out that one pastor is taking the courses by himself under Marco’s direction and because of that wants to take it to his churches in Chile. This is exciting and we thank God for the reception and the privilege of being able to train workers for the harvest.

Signing off for today and requesting your continued prayers,

Dr D & Marilyn

No comments: