Tuesday, September 14, 2010

PACKED AND PREPARED FOR THE “EYEBROW OF THE JUNGLE”

Tuesday, September 14:

I have just completed the task of packing for my first experience in the jungle area of Peru. Although it is not “in” it still is called the jungle by the Peruvians, better “the eyebrow of the jungle.”

We fly from Lima at 5:30 in the morning, arrive in Ayacucho at 6:40 and then meet our bus for a seven hour ride over very treacherous roads through the “cocoa leaves” – the basis for cocaine. So it can be dangerous not just from the roads but from those who use the roads to transport their drugs.

We will make our way to San Francisco and Kimbiri just across the river. Aschinca is the name of the tribe of people who live in this area. They still live by their ancient tribal customs. One of the big struggles is the marriage practices. They have no marriage laws and most girls bear children at the age of 12. Now I understand why I was asked to speak about sex. It isn’t that they do no know how, but they do not practice morality with it and therefore it becomes a major problem in the Church.

I have not figured out the schedule yet. I know where we are going and when we return from Ayacucho on the airplane and that there is at least a seven hour journey from San Francisco. And I know that my plane departs Sunday morning at 6:50 AM, arriving in Lima at 8:00 and that I have a service at 10:30 AM. Beyond that information I am lost.

I look forward to meeting the North American who will be at the airport– I have talked to him by phone – and those on the bus in Ayacucho from Peru and from North America.

So this will be challenging and exciting. Well if you call battling mosquitoes fun! Even though it is still cold here they tell me it will be “hot” in the jungle. But their hot is in the 70's. They really do not know what hot is do they!

God bless and keep me in your prayers,

Dr D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Dr. Deaton,
My prayers are with you. I pray for your safety and that the Lord grant you favor with everyone, everything, and every circumstance. Don't forget to wear mosquito repellent. We missed you at Dr. Bill Home-Going Service. I am making it a point to visit your blog and encourage others to visit your blog. God bless you and keep you safe from anything that would try to harm you.

Blessings,
Jaime L. Hernandez

P.S. If you get a chance please post any pictures you may take of the areas you visit.