Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 13 - Monday: In Chernivtsi

This was the slowest day since I arrived in Ukraine.

My appointment with one family was canceled because today is a holiday. It is the traditional day when families go to the graveyards and place flowers on the graves of their loved ones. They invite friends of the loved one or those of the same age as the dead person. They stand on one side and hand food or gifts across the grave to those invited guests. The only quiet place was the city.

However, there was a cell group meeting this evening here are the flat where I stay and you cannot avoid being the speaker in such a situation. So I spent the last three hours in sharing the Word, in conversation with those who attended (there were 14 present -- even larger than last Wednesday).

I was able to minister to a very discouraged pastor. He had pastored a small church in a city about one hour from here -- Khotin is its name (Pronounce that with the Kh together as "H"). He had assumed the pastorate in a very difficult time, under very stressful times brought on by the leader who was over the Church. He finally had to just walk away and allow it to die. He was very discouraged and felt like a failure. However, knowing the situation from past experience of ministry there, I believe I was able to give him hope for the future as the Spirit spoke to me. He is going to work with Pastor Dmitry Nemchenko and help the work here in Chernivtsi to grow. I believe if he is faithful in that position he will find that he is in the will of God to work alongside another pastor.

Now all that is left is for me to pack, get some sleep and then travel about 3-4 hours to the city of Khmelnitsky (try pronouncing that one and get the "K" in without making it sound too hard). There I will bet on the "Fast Train" for a four and one-half hour ride to Kiev. Eugene Taits, the Dean of the college will meet me and take me to his house for the final two days of my stay here.

And so the trip is coming to an end. But the questions keep coming: "How soon will you be back to Ukraine? Will you be coming to Chernivtsi? How long will you stay with us? Will you minister in our services? And on and on they go!

The hunger and desire for guidance is here. The people love God and love to receive the Word.

Thanks for allowing me to be your representative to these lovely people.

Dr D.

No comments: