Thursday, April 24, 2008

DAY EIGHT - Wednesday: In Chernivtsi

“Great,” I thought as I rolled out of bed, “I can get started early today.” But NO! When I got to the bathroom I discovered that there was no electricity. There went my plans! And I had to forget the shower, shaving and all that daily preparation. But that is the potential you face in Ukraine. And I would have to forgo working on my computer because I had used the battery and there wasn't much life left in it.

Pastor Dmitry Nemchenko of The Light of God’s Love arrived about 20 minutes late (11:20) but because of the transportation and road network it is almost expected that being on time will not happen and no one thinks twice about it – except ME! But who am I here?

Pastor Dema stayed for 5 hours, asking questions about pastoring and wanting to know if he could become a “spiritual son” and draw information and assistance from that relationship. He also asked if it would be possible to lay hands on him and ordain him in a service this fall. He wants it to be after his church has completed its registration process and has been able to rent an auditorium. He contemplates that it will take another month or more to complete the process.

This request was not unexpected and because of the demonstration of his life and commitment to the ministry in the pastor eight years that we have known him it was a welcome request. Now the question is: How do I add coming back to Chernivtsi this fall along with a commitment to minister in Donetsk with Heart-To-Heart and Svetlana Pokhodina for a week, then another week in Crimea – which I have to do because of the cancellation of ministry there last fall because of the situation with my parents? And I am supposed to go to Israel at the request of three of the pastors with whom we have a relationship. That trip is normally tagged onto a trip to Ukraine because of the savings on airfare from here.

I had a couple of hours to get my thoughts together for the Cell Group meeting which is held here at the flat where I stay when I come to Chernivtsi. It is a cell group under the direction of Pastor Dema and I always take time to share the Word when here. The time was profitable and was a blessing to the people but also a blessing to me as I was able to see the continued growth and love for God coming from those who attended.

You never just teach, but always become involved in a question and answer session about spiritual problems and issues. And then it seems that they want to know more about America and often about the American political situation. The believers here have begun to recognize the qualities of President Bush despite the negative press they receive from the European countries. That was a refreshing reprieve from times past.

The evening ended with Ukrainian Pizza. You have never had pizza until you eat it in Ukraine. Good? At the best eatable. BUT the pizza fixed by my hostess and secretary here is absolutely the best I’ve had in Ukraine and is delicious.

Oh – it is 11:30 and bedtime.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Dr. D

No comments: