Thursday, May 13, 2010

DAY ONE OF THE IDEA EXCHANGE (Monday, May 10th)

Our home for the next five days is on the western coast of Crimea as we host the Ukraine Idea Exchange. I am not sure of the total attendance as the figures have not reached me yet and some came that we didn't expect and some we expected have not been able to come and some arrived after the first session tonight. But it is safe to say we have crossed over the 30 mark and are headed for 40.

We are pleased with the attendance and I can say with the reception displayed during and after the session this evening. I just do not know what to say to express what I sense and I am not sure I know what to expect. All I know is when I was here last year the wife of one of the owners began to tell me about a dream she had of pastors in a meeting here being led by Marilyn and I. So I stopped her before she could complete her dream and completed it for her. The bottom line is: The owners wanted to sow into the lives of the pastors of Ukraine and invited us to host the Idea Exchange here at no room cost to the pastors. Their only expense was to get here and then to pay for the actual cost of purchasing the food for their meals. There was no additional cost placed on the preparation, serving or clean-up. So for 50 Hryvana -- about $6.50 per person per day for their food. That is what I call SOWING! And there are pastors from Kiev in the north, Lugansk in the east, Chernivtsi in the west and Alusta in the south.

We arrived here about 11:30 this morning from Simferopol. Sadly the wife of our host in Simferopol, Lena Barilo suddenly and without any warning had what seems to be a kidney stone attack and had to return immediately to Simferopol - a two-and-one-half hour drive to be attended to. And the interpreter I was counting on to interpret for me, Vadim Urumyagov missed his plane in Kiev. I need Oksana to interpret for Marilyn. But we have to make some minor changes and thank God another pastor arrived who can interpret for me when we have split sessions. Just some minor shifts!

That is the way it is. The unexpected seems to always show up in some way. Thank God for having it all worked out before it became a reality for us on this one!

Tomorrow our schedule begins at 8:30, the first session from 10-11, the second from 11:30-12:30, then lunch at 1:30 with the afternoon for those attending except for those who would like to have a private session with Marilyn or me. Then it is dinner at 6:00 and the evening session from 7-9 or 9:30. Wednesday it is repeated and we wrap it up Wednesday evening with those attending headed home on Thursday morning.

So now it is time to see what direction we go tomorrow. This isn't a typical seminar. It is a time for the pastors to share what God is saying to them; what He is saying to the Church and the Nation of Ukraine. We will also be open to discuss any issues confronting the pastors. The bottom line is: This is for pastors with pastors as the key people focusing on the establishment of relationships.

The prayer of Jesus for the Church found in John 17:20-26 is the focal point of the entire Idea Exchange. It is not a "do it this way" gathering.

Anyway, that should give you an Idea of the Idea Exchange!

Thanks for your prayers,

Dr D and Marilyn

No comments: