Wednesday, September 7, 2011

JUNGLE NO! MOUNTAINS YES!

I know! The last thing I said on my last blog was: “Tomorrow we head to the jungle for a 12 hour experience.” Well, I was not thinking. (And that DOES NOT happen all the time – regardless of what you think!) Anyway, we were supposed to leave at noon for a two hour trip into the mountains to a Pueblo named Piscan.

However, because Pastor Gene had to sign the documents to purchase the property the Church just bought we were delayed four and one-half hours (4 ½ hours). You cannot believe the way they do such things here. For us it may a one hour situation but here it can go on for hours. For instance: They worked with an official who completed the papers. They were then told to see the person at the very next desk, who could have been completing the financial papers while they were at the first desk. But not here. The second does not start until the first is done. Then they do not understand what they are supposed to do and cannot figure out the fees...........and on and on it goes.

But finally at 4:45 PM we walked down the steps onto the street and began a 10 minute walk to the parking garage to the car. You DO NOT leave your vehicle parked on the street – that is IF you would like to keep it. After traveling a few blocks, going down several different streets and being detoured due to the sewer construction we stopped at the gas station to get some air in the tires and some cold drinks, candy and the likes and then headed out of town.

After one hour the pavement ended. We began the next one hour on unbelieveable rock and dirt roads, up and down the hills, around corners to find that part of the road was washed out, down through six or seven creek beds – four of which required us to drive through the water – the others were dry this time of year. O, did I mention that several times we had to stop to allow the bovines (resembling cattle for the unsophisticated) and the long-horn cattle and the huge bulls to make their way around us. Then there were the cowboys on their horses, the motorcycles, dogs, pigs with triangles (made of sticks around their necks) to keep them out of fenced off gardens and fields and about anything else you can think of.

The journey took us through the middle of several Pueblos with their houses of various kinds lining the sides of our road. To my amazement, one Pueblo had the cement sewer lids protruding upward – they had a “city sewer” in their Pueblo! But, we still had to slow down for the “speed-bumps” made of dirt!

We did arrive at our destination about 7 PM, parked the 4x4 (that is not a piece of lumber - but a vehicle) and began our walk to the home where the Church is located. It sits about 5 feet lower than the street in front of it with about 12-15 feet of space between it and the street. About 100 feet beyond and across the street is the property the Church owns. It is being prepared for construction of their new Church facility.

I cannot remember the number of people who showed up, but it was approximately 16. Sweet people who were actively involved in working to help the Church to grow. One lady had walked 30-40 minutes in the dirt and dust with her three sons – all above the teen-age years. They are tithers and because they do not have enough money to adequately compensate their pastor, one lady proposed that each family take responsibility to feed the pastor each day.

I will summarize my experience to simply say, “I really enjoyed the time of ministry and fellowship with them. Simple people who love Jesus!

Then it REALLY BEGINS! Do not be in so much of a hurry to find out why — relax — and I will tell you.

To complete the evening it was expected that we would go to the home of one family and eat. So what do you do? You do it! You walk in the dimly lit room - very large at that - 20x30 at least. In one corner there is a stack of sacks of rice maybe 4x5 about 40 inches high. To the left is a door that leads to what you discover is the home of one of the siblings. You turn to your right and step up about 10 inches onto a dirt floor – their kitchen – with two tables. The room has only one light bulb. I turn and two dogs walk in behind me. In one corner lies several ears of corn. I look around for the pig, but discover a dog goes over to them and lies down. It makes me feel better.

We are served some pastry - 4 of them. A bowl is handed to me and I discover it has tuna fish in it. I watch as those with me put some on one of the pastries. I follow suit. I tasted it and I am still not sure it was tuna – but what I do not know. I quickly ask for the keys and go to the car to get MY water to avoid being handed the “drink.” It works and they pass me by. I wonder to myself, “What do I do with the other three?”

I watch as Pastor Gene places some sugar on his second piece. I follow his lead and it does taste good – and so I eat two more, then pass the other to the Peruvian across the table. Because he is a BIG man, I insist in my English, using my hands that I am full to the neck and he needs to eat more to keep him going. Success! Meal over!

The ride home seems to be much smoother though it is dark. You watch for the lights of an approaching vehicle. You watch for the darker spots on the road ahead. They indicate a deeper hole or low spot that will cause the vehicle to BoUnCe! Anyway, we get home safely and I flop into bed about 1:00 AM.

Today, Wednesday, I fall out about 8:15, drag into the bathroom and wash the sleep and whatever was left from the night before into the drain, dress and get ready for a 9:30 departure to the local ministerial meeting.

It is a 30 minute walk to the host Church for this week. We get started about 15 minutes late – which is almost starting on time. They take care of some business and then I am introduced as the speaker for the day. I share for 40 minutes and quit. I wonder: “Did I connect? Did I communicate?” They complete their meeting after a session of prayer and then I do not have to wonder any longer.

The pastors of this city have dropped the barriers of Church names and denominations to join together as the Kingdom of God to reach their city for God. My sharing on the power of connections, relationships hit the target. I spend the next 30-40 minutes in sharing with groups of 3-4 or just one – answer their questions and expounding more on the topic. I look over and Marco is sharing about Universidad Pacto de Vida and has his cell phone in hand and then hands it to the pastor next to him. I find this out later: The pastor beside him was the spiritual father to one of the pastors who has the university program. To explain how it works Marco just called the pastor from another region, Bagua Grande, and handed the phone to the local pastor.

I could go on and on, but once again it is time to close and get ready to go to the evening service.

God bless and thanks for your prayers

Dr D

No comments: