Friday, October 10, 2008

Thursday, October 9

The journey from Kiev to Donetsk begins with getting accustomed to your “coupe.” After all luggage is stored and the stewardess comes by and takes your linens while mumbling something in Russian that you later find out means, “They are doing an inspection and I must take these to the inspectors.” As she rumbles of muttering to herself we try to order “chi” (tea) and after one hour we come to the realization that she did not hear us or chose to ignore us.

Suddenly she appears sand when translated it means, “I’ll bring your linens in a little while.” With a quick interjection the “chi” is reordered and again she rumbles of muttering to herself. But this time she reappears still muttering but with a cup of “chi” in her hand. Before arriving in Donetsk she comes with her hand out with the tab to collect the eight “hryvna” (pronounced with a “g”) for four cups of “chi” (about 18 cents per cup).

We break out the food from the sacks and indulge our flesh with some cheese on bread with butter, some water and/or “chi,” some Pringles, some yogurt and some cookies. You can tell that this was “Some Meal!”

Finally about 10:00 (that’s two and one half hours after leaving Kiev) someone suggests that we make our bunks and go to bed. Picture this: Three adults standing between two bunks - two high in a space about 24-30 inches wide and each one trying to unroll a three-inch thick bedroll, place a sheet on it and then another to cover up with. We accomplish it and then I step out so ... well-let me put it this way: Suppose I was traveling by myself and purchased a bunk in a coupe. There are four bunks in each. I have no choice as to whom my room mates would be. They could be male and they could be female; sober or drunk; old or young – but when it comes time for bed you take turns stepping into the hall while the one or two of the same sexes put on their “PJ’s” (you read that correctly: pajamas”). Back to the real story: Since I was the only male I got out into the hall and waited. Then because I slept in the clothes I had on, I was permitted back in and pulled my tired body up to the top.

What do you do now? You are supposed to sleep! But it is too early! So I watch two movies on my IPOD and then take to sleeping aids, climb down, and lead my wife, who has decided to join me, down to the end of the car to the necessary room. We return, and climb into our bunks – mine up high and shuffle the pillow around and attempt to go to sleep.

The car lunges and you hear the air brakes being applied, recognizing that we are making another stop to pick up or let off passengers. The lurching tells you that we are leaving this station and so you tell yourself that you are going to “SLEEP!” Now for a person who snores and had been told about it often - wife, son, daughter, grand kids and anyone else who had the honor of sleeping the same room or who entered the house when I was asleep on the couch – you tend to feel self-conscious. So you say with all faith -“I will not snore tonight. I don’t want to awaken our one traveling companion who is already asleep.” So either by a subconscious thought process or by the many and various sounds of the moving train over the rails or maybe by your own snoring, you awaken many times hoping that you have not been sawing the logs too loudly. In the morning almost the first thing out of your wife’s mouth is the confirmation of that which you feared. O well, that is the privilege of traveling with such a ???? – whatever.

You know? I can’t believe I have said all this when I am supposed to be telling you about what is happening.

We arrived on time and were met by the pastor’s wife, a deacon and a pastor from on of the Churches in the same Union (that’s denomination in the US). We are whisked away, luggage and all, to the Church van but not before Marilyn and I look to our right as we carry our luggage down on set of stairs and the rest turn to their left. Suddenly we find ourselves all alone. Strangers all around and not one familiar face. We stand still – that is after I have moved more than she wants me to. In a few moments a familiar face heads our way and we move in that direction and continue our way to the van.

One hour later we pull up to what was at one time a fabulous building – a Cultural Center in honor of Lenin. It is now the home of Rhema Church. Thank God for the Lenin and Stalin. Without them the Church in Ukraine would not have any buildings. They built them for themselves they thought BUT GOD had other plans.

We climb the semicircular stairs to the second floor, enter a double set of doors and traverse down the hall to our room. Excellent! Perfecto! (Oops that last word is Spanish – I think). Since it is just 8:30, we are told that in one hour we will have breakfast. We unpack everything and hang up our dress clothes so the wrinkles will fall out.

Breakfast is served - oatmeal, ham, cheese, bread, some sweets, some candy, of course - tea (I mean Chi). We get acquainted with Ludmilla, the pastor’s wife and are informed about the course of the services –ladies’ service that is and so I make my exit to get some sleep before lunch which will be at 1:30. Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z – I got it!

As we eat lunch Pastor Gorbachev arrives and we share our life history and listen to his – that is after we each asked for it. Plans are made for the coming days and we head back to room to prepare for departure for the Rehabilitation Center at 5:00 and service at 6:00. The drug-rehab center is government sponsored but Bible based - and is the only one like it in Ukraine with a constant population of sixty male or female combinations.

Marilyn and I enjoy their worship, share the Word and as they depart everyone comes by to greet you and give you a hug. One lady hands her Bible to me and indicates she wants me to autograph it. I do and that causes a snow-effect. And so I oblige with my name and the title of the message for the evening – both have the same initials – D D – Dig Deep and they begin to ask Svetlana (Anya’s Mother) what it means – she asks me about the big scribbled D’s and the little words inside them and then tells them. They write it all down in Russian and proceed to depart.

We depart and head back to our room, stop to purchase some food and return to eat it before setting down to get ready for Friday. Marilyn’s assignment is to minister at 11:00 to Pastor’s wives and answer questions while I to the Pastors and then she will speak to the ladies - Pastor’s wives, leaders’s wives and whomever is invited at 5:00. I think I have it free the rest of the day but face two long seminar sessions on Saturday and three sermons on Sunday.

God bless you for your prayers.

Dr. D. & Marilyn

No comments: