Wednesday, October 6, 2010

NEWS FLASH FROM PERU AND DR D

Sunday, October 3 - Tuesday, October 5:

There are experiences! There are various experiences! And then there are experiences you have on foreign soil!

I have just experienced my first election weekend on foreign soil! This was the weekend for Peru to elect their “mayors.” They have local city mayors and also regional mayors. This year the battle was between two ladies for the mayor who would be over the Lima Region – a first for Peru. Sunday evening the count was too close to call a winner. Monday, the count was less than .8 (8/10 difference.) And last night I was not able to discover who the winner is – “if” they have even finished the count.

NEWS FLASH! I JUST RECEIVED WORD THAT THE COUNT IS STILL TOO CLOSE TO DETERMINE AND THEY ARE WORKING OF REVIEWING AND CHECKING THE BALLOTS!

And because it was election weekend, Sunday services were forbidden so people would be free to go vote. And “IF” you do not vote, then you are “fined!” That’s right! YOU MUST VOTE OR YOU GET A COURT FINE! So as you can imagine there is a major turn out that requires many people to travel great distances to get back to the regions and cities where they are registered. FUN! FUN!

I return you now back to the “spiritual” world for which I came to Peru. That is I “would” “IF” ---- we were able to record on Tuesday and completed four hours of teaching. That means I have one major area to cover and when that is completed, I will call it a success, even though I have one more I would like to record, but I can live without it and instead include it in another class.

I am living on “peanut butter and jelly sandwiches” for breakfast. Really! No I also have fresh mangos for breakfast with the peanut butter and jelly – including a glass of yogurt and Starbucks instant coffee with French Vanilla coffee cream – all compliments of my wife! BUT the coffee is running low and will be out by the time she arrives with a “fresh” supply on nest Tuesday evening with Allyson (Ryan’s oldest) and David (Nicole’s oldest). Their first missionary trip! They are both excited and counting the days.

God bless until I report again,

Dr D

No comments: