Monday, August 29, 2011

45 YEAR RECORD BROKEN

Before I get to the headline, allow me to bring you up-to-date.

I arose from my position of rest, just like I do other days. But — skip it! You do too!

Anyway, Pastor Carlos and Jessica Mozon of Iglesia El Camino Rimac, with whom we had become acquainted at the El Camino Convention the first week of August, had contacted Marco Aroni, our Field Representative (I used that term to make you think we are big time. Why? Because we are not and but it sounded professional!) Fortunately we had a Friday open and so we headed to the Rimac area of Lima.

Rimac is not the best – to say the least – area of Lima. And taxi drivers from Elio, my home here, are not quick to accept fares to the area not only because of the crime, but because of the distance. We did secure a taxi and arrived. As I got out of the taxi, Javier (my interpreter) stepped behind me and Marco in front. Moving slowly across the street, Marco said, “The guy standing there is a thief, watch him closely.”

So, I did. I watched him. He got very nervous. You would too, if a tough looking preacher from the US looked at you! We continued our progress about half a block to a garage style steel door with a walk through door and above it a sign indicating we were there. But! No one else was there. So we took our position on the sidewalk awaiting the arrival of Pastor Carlos, cautiously watching all movements of those who were passing by. And then it happened! What? Nothing! I just wanted to create some suspense.

The building was packed. It was standing room only! Of course there were only about 50 seats! But again, it sure sounds big when you say it that way. But there were some passers-by who stood and watched.

I had the privilege of officially opening their extension of Universidad Pacto de Vida (CLU) and delivering the Word to God’s chosen in Rimac. The people impressed me with their attention and spirit. It was easy to determine the solid quality of the work accomplished in their lives. I am confident, if they had a larger facility, their attendance would easily grow. Thirteen (13) of those present are registered students, ready to start on Tuesday, August 30th. From no extension here three weeks ago and now 13 students!

The pastor of the church where we had schedule a first year graduation on Saturday, called Marco on Friday evening, just prior to our departure for Rimac and informed him there would be no service, no graduation on Saturday. Church problems! We were aware of some struggles within the congregation but our information received from the Pastor two days before seemed to indicate everything was settled. Anyway, it provided me with a day to work on developing a teaching on the subject of “Integrity.” I spoke on the subject at the El Camino Convention and became personally intrigued and stirred by the Holy Spirit.

While considering the subject, I had discovered a book on that subject was on my iPad and began to read it Friday upon returning from Rimac and before closing my eyes while lying upon my bed. The day was productive and I am already on page 21. Ten hours of that did create a tired mind and body.

Yesterday, Sunday, August 28th, I returned to Iglesia Centro Christiano De Avivamiento, with Pastor Gustavo & Jenny Rodriquez. This was my third service with them, but it was necessary to fulfill a previous commitment. It was not a burden because the Church is a growing, vibrant body and ministering the Word to them is an honor.

Sunday evening, Independicia, Lima found us awaiting the arrival of the pastor of Principe de Paz (Prince of Peace), Gilberto and Doris Varillas. We had taken a taxi to the shopping plaza in their area and were waiting on them outside a coffee shop. NO! It wasn’t Starbucks! NO! I did not buy a cup of coffee or any other coffee speciality. I stood in the cold mist and wind waiting Peruvian Time to pass and the arrival of Pastor Gilberto.

Here it is! What? The breaking of my 45 year record. What record? Well, wait a minute and I will tell you. It requires some background. Not really, background, but a description of my well disciplined habit of recording the Name of the Church, the Sermon Title, and the Date for every sermon preached.

I “looked at my overseas record” about one hour before our departure and only saw one record for any message at Independicia - Principe de Paz - Gilberto/Doris Varillas. So, the message which had come to my mind, was not one that I previously considered at all. But recognizing this may be the Spirit directing me, I told Javier, my interpreter he had better look over my notes for that message.

We arrived, about five minutes late to the service, but the assistant was already reading the scripture for the evening. We had a good worship time, even though Marco took time to shoot a picture of the large rat just below our feet – it was under the steel grate and could not get to us. I did not notice it nor Marco taking its picture. According to him it was about 12 inches long and fat. I am glad I was oblivious to it!

I ministered the Word. I prophesied over the pastor and his wife and turned the service to him. He called the people to the altar and 99% crowded to the front, forcing us to move from our seats of plastic – the standard pew here in Peru. At the pastor’s request I began to lay hands on the people. The Holy Spirit had been moving with power and so it was an easy task.

Led by the Spirit, I took the mic and requested those with any pain or sickness to place their hand on the affected area. I prayed. I asked for those who knew they had been healed to raise their hands. So many raised their hands, I requested them put their hands down. I repeated the request, but this time more hands were raised than previously. So I asked for some testimonies from those who knew their pain was gone. I wish I could remember all the testimonies. Suffice it to say, the healing power of God was there.

Now for the climatic revelation! As the pastor drove us back to a location where we could catch a taxi he stated, “I have been telling the people that we need to be broken. And then you came and ministered on the subject of being broken and used by God.”

Such a statement always is good to the ears of a visiting preacher. And I thought nothing more about it. When I arose this morning, I did what is normal. I opened my computer, moved through the documents, found the file: Nations - Sermon Records - Peru and then went to the title of the message from Sunday evening.

What did I find? Yes! Independicia: Principe de Paz - Gilberto/Doris Varillas - 4/10/10!

THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER ACCIDENTLY RE-PREACHED THE SAME SERMON AT ANY CHURCH IN 45 YEARS!

But my accident was not God’s accident, it was God’s direction on purpose! If I had seen the record I never would have considered that message, but God knew and by-passed my mind.

Now today, Monday, it is time to do laundry, pack and prepare for a two week trip north to Talara, Piura on the western side where there is plenty of warmth and fish, then to the eastern side adjacent to the jungle to Jaen and Bagua Grande, then back to Lima for three days before the final trip to Ayacucho and over the one lane road, the most of the time, to San Franciso - Kimbiri.

God bless,

Dr D

No comments: