Thursday, May 9, 2013

UKRAINE MINISTRY BLOG. 9 - Location: Armyansk - New Life Church

I am back!  Like it or not!  Anyway there is some to report but not a lot. 

First of all we all made it to our destination: Marilyn and Carina to Simferopol and were joined by Jason Edouard about 2 plus hours later and were met by Yuri Kyzmin of School of Christ Church and his wife Gala and their six year old daughter, Vicki.

Marilyn’s train arrived first and Jason’s was late so while they waited they walked over to the famous “Golden Arch” for some morning refreshment.  They considered that a “treat!”  Believe it or not.  They will be there through Sunday morning and then go on to Olenivka and the Equator Resort to await my arrival and the pastors and families who are coming (a total of around 70 people).

I got off the train at 5:35 AM and was met by Pastor Sergey Smoler and Vasiliy Gapono, Dean of the Armyansk Graduate School.  They rushed me to my abode here and I have a very nice apartment all to myself and a cook who comes in and prepares for me.  Today for lunch I had: Salanka (a typical meat and vegetable soup); three whole fried potatoes with egg sized meat balls; Greek salad; and Caviar with homemade butter on fresh bread.  The problem is that the day has continued – constant food offers and I have had to put a stop to all the food. 

Simply said: The Host Church and their people are taking excellent care of me.

Oksana Zelenivska, my Ukrainian secretary and interpreter arrived just in time for a two and one-half hour meeting with the Pastor and Dean in preparation for two 8 - 1 hour sessions of lecture beginning tomorrow.  I am teaching a graduate course on Hermeneutics.  But I have 60 pages of notes – making 45 for the students – and it is all very important.  So I am putting everything in “high gear” in the morning.

If you could hear and see the fireworks now – the consummation of the “Ukraine Victory Day” celebration.  And it is almost the end of an extended holiday made that way by the late date for their Eastern Orthodox Easter.

Well, I got my old iPhone 4 jailbroke and set up for use overseas while in Khmelnitskiy.  They have a family who owns the Apple Store there and with joy they did the necessary work for me and blessed me with a new case.  And even took my sim card two doors down and had Kiev Star make me a new one that would fit the iPhone.  Now if I can just get my church email set up to work, all would be super.  But I am having problems, not sure why.

Enough! Enough! ENOUGH!

God bless and thanks for your prayers,

Dr D and Marilyn

No comments: