Tuesday, April 21, 2009

ARRIVED IN CHERNIVTSI

Twenty hours after boarding the train we (Oksana and I) got off, alive, tired and ready for the last segment – a three hour auto ride to Chernivtsi.

I would like to tell you some great stories about the ride, but I would have to make them up, so here is the truth. It was uneventful except for the fact that I discovered that the constant moving of the car from side to side and up and down and the shaking effect produced was therapeutic. I had a twenty hour massage! The downside was that it was so noisy. And then someone next door had the audacity to knock of the wall several times during the night. I do not understand why! I was just snoring! Anyway, we made it and our drivers were waiting for us at the foot of the stairs to receive our luggage.

So that may also explain why you were not privileged to read a blog yesterday that was up-to-date. Did you ever try to type when the table was constantly moving. I “think” it may be a lot like being sea sick, when everything is constantly moving. We got on the train in Simferopol at 1:00 PM Monday, and crawled off at 9:46 AM Tuesday.

Accompanying us were two meals consisting of fish, fried pounded chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, apples, cookies and yogurt and water. We ordered tea and hot water for me to drink the Mocha coffee Peggy left with me when we parted in Donetsk.

Our only visitor was a “EuroLife Insurance” salesman. I quickly dispensed of him and we went on with our evening of food, conversation, iPod movies - Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman, some sleep and then just sitting around waiting on the Khmelnitsky train depot to arrive.

So that about fills you in on the day. Except that since it is Monday, after Easter, it is a holiday here so there are no taxis, so when Tolik and Oksana wanted to take me to “Ефесес” (Ephesus) – their favorite pizza place we had to walk and then take the bus to and the trolley from. It is always an experience to ride these systems. The vehicles are ancient, airy, rough riding and full of odors – vehicle and human.

I have four speaking engagements here along with spending time with Vika Kosovan and her children – which is always a treat.

God bless,

Dr D

Dr. David L. Deaton

No comments: