Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A GREAT DAY: SLEEP IN AND OLIVE OIL RUBBED IN!

Finally a day begins and I could look at the alarm and say, “Forget it Bud!” And it sure felt good to lay there until 9:30 AM. I know – you think I am lazy and that I should be up at 4:00 AM and work until 12:00 PM when I am on the mission field for the Lord! Sorry, but even Jesus took time to rest.

Today’s schedule only included a walk to the grocery and then a four hour conversation with Pastor Dema Nemchencko of the Light of God’s Love. Pastor Dema speaks English good enough that we can converse (and that word is not mean the brand name of a gym shoe - some of you will understand). He and Pastor Vitaliy Pavlenko of Word of Life are both from the same former church staff. Both of these men had gathered people who were without a Church and started separate Churches. However, they came together for one meeting when I was here last fall and have been working together since. It is my personal conviction that they should continue and just make it official that they are one Body.

I was privileged to have one and one-half hours to prepare for the Cell Group that meets here at the flat where I stay and there was enough time to stretch out for a few minutes to relax the tight muscles in my back and neck. While in that position I heard the door bell and English being spoken to my hostess. So I arose and prepared myself for my presentation to the guests.

They are here from California to adopt three Ukrainian boys. They have five of their own and because of a Christian ministry who took several Ukrainian orphans to their area and placed them in homes to visit – really to be put on display for adoption they were challenged by two brothers and a third lad whom they discovered to be the most mischievous boy in the orphanage and made the decision to adopt all three.

The tragedy of this is the process they have been through. They have been here for two months and have been getting the run-around-delay-because-what-you-don’t-know-will-not-hurt-you-treatment by the authorities. Not only that but they were told they had to use a specific interpreter. Well she set them up with transportation via taxi service for quadruple the regular price and well it goes on and on. However because several people for the two Churches – now working together – also minister in the orphanage to the children they have been assisted by these families and pastors, including Oksana, my interpreter/secretary.

They have been given places to live in apartments owned by members of the church – even to the degree that one family moved out of their brand new beautiful apartment and allowed them to live there for several weeks with their entire family. Well, you are getting the picture. They came tonight just to be with the other North American from the United States. They are documenting their experiences, even to making a map with GPS markings so that several other families who are also adopting children will not be taken advantage of by taxi drivers, interpreters and the like. Next Wednesday they have a court date that they are praying will be their final step in this process.

OH! I am sorry! I was talking about the Cell Group Meeting, wasn’t I? It was a packed house, a great teacher with a great message. (What else do you expect me to say? I am not going to say that I was terrible! I like me too much to say that! Why do I like me? Because Jesus does and I will not talk bad about anything or anyone He likes – including you!)

One thing I know for sure! All plans can change! My leadership meeting for tomorrow evening has been cancelled. But, the evening has been filled. The family from California have invited us - Tolik and Oksana and me out for supper wherever we want to go to eat. So, another day and another overseas experience ends and another begins.

God bless,

Dr D

OOOOO! I forgot! The title mention Olive Oil and something about “rubbed”. Two of the ladies who attend this cell are professional — I can’t even begin to spell the word but you will understand – back massagers. So Oksana told them I have been having some back muscle problems . Since there was no body oils here, they took Olive Oil and gave me a back massage. I guess that is one way to be anointed for carrying burdens. It sure felt good.

No comments: