Friday, April 10, 2009

CHOO-CHOO-TRAIN

Children may love a train ride, but this adult thinks they are better than a car for some journeys here, but they are certainly not “fun”. Now do not get me wrong. Being alone in a coupe’ is better than having three strangers in it with you, but it can still be a long lonesome and sleepless journey. Even if it is only nine hours in length it seems like an eternity. However, I made it safe and secure all by myself. Simferopol was there and waiting for me and so were my hosts.

Volodia and Lena Barilo and one happy couple. I have not seen them in five years. So he helps me get my last bag off the train and then turns to me and as if we have not been apart, cracks the same joke we had thrown back and forth five years ago, saying, “You gornish.” (Being interpreted means - something like “you are wacky in the head – I guess it is better to own up and say that I’ve forgotten the true meaning, but you get the idea. But if you don’t then, “Your gornish.”)

After a journey of 35-40 minutes we arrive at their home. I had heard they built a new home, but I was not sure what kind of home as I looked at some of the houses we were passing as we slowed down and turned onto a dirt road (did I say “road” - I should have said a “dirt path for vehicles. You needed a GPS to find your way around the mud holes.) Anyway we pulled up to a steel gate and I almost my jaw almost became dislocated when I looked over the fence at the four story house. As we moved into the drive I saw a very neat flower garden, fruit tree, garden area that surrounded the house with a brown picket style fence separating the drive from the “garden area.”

Then I noticed that the paths were all gravel and separating the garden areas from the gravel was a cement curb, that had been painted a faint pink, winding its way throughout. The area I was looking at was about 3/4 of an acre. The cherry trees were beginning to bloom. Flowers of all kinds were displaying their new growth in preparation for the coming blooming season. Newly planted seedlings had been whitewashed to protect them from insects as had the cherry and peach trees. There wasn’t a week a weed in sight.

Surrounding tree sides of the enclosed property I discovered were a garage; a work shop; pig pens holding pot-bellied pigs or all shapes and gender; chickens in pens of all sizes; an old street-car type building containing two rooms, another open area work and storage; a steel bin holding coal; and every building had gutter and pipes that moved all the water from the roofs into steel storage tanks. Every building, fence had been freshly painted. There wasn’t anything that appeared to be out of order. And in this area I found a summer kitchen with everything needed to cook as well as a couch. Next to it a laundry room with a toilet, sink and new washing machine, which means running water. Then there was an area of about 20-25 feet where you could hang clothes under a roof and one closed side or sit there during the summer or as I did today, to enjoy the sun and be protected from the cold breeze. Lest I forget, I discovered that there was a goat and some geese outside across the lane.

But that is only the beginning of the tour. I was taken into a house that Volodia called, “Noah’s Ark.” The front of the house was oval with straight sides and back. There is a basement. Then you enter you find yourself in a room filled with flowers on your right, accompanied by the shoes of the family. On your left is a quarter circular stair leading to the three floors above. The floor is all tiled. You walk down a short hall with a toilet on the right, a door to the basement on the left, and a door to the furnace. Next on your right you see a room for the food storage, including a refrigerator and freezer. Directly across you see a typical small Ukrainian kitchen with a small table and four stools. The hall ends in the living room which is finely decorated with a tiger motif, literally - small stuffed tigers line the back of the couch that curves around one corner and accompanied with a larger table, six chairs and a wall with book cases containing pictures, mementoes, a TV and in the corner behind the door a Styrofoam incubator containing eggs. Each had either a red or black “X” (do not ask me which or why).

The second and third floors each contain a landing with beautiful plants and one pot of sunflowers – the biggest and most beautiful I have ever seen (and I’ve seen acres and acres of them in Ukraine). You enter a carpeted room with a toilet on your right. Next to it a shower room, about 4'x4' with the sink all in the same area and floor level. This room contains two matching wardrobes and off it are two bedrooms with pull out beds extending from a couch. The fourth floor is one big room with a table tennis sitting folded up on one side and a table the entire length which would seat 25-30 people.

I asked their daughter, Kata, (better Katie) how long it took her dad to build the house. She said, “Nine months.” I would have said, “impossible,” if I had not seen this man work. He moves at the speed of light in everything he does, which includes driving, talking or smiling – and there is always one on his face. I do not think I have ever seen a more happy individual in all my life. Now I remember why I wanted to get back to Simferopol and be with this couple. Though she speaks very little English, and he does not speak any, they have a unique way of communicating with you and you feel at ease though you speak a different language.

I have today, tomorrow and Sunday without Oksana Zelenivska to interpret for me, but their daughter, Katie (16) speaks very good English and so I’ll get along great and enjoy the hospitality of these jewels of God’s Kingdom of workers.

Marilyn just called me and told me that their evening was great and so were the speakers – the Ladies of Life Missions’ Team. Marilyn has started the first stages of a cold, so prayer for her.

Marilyn also told me that Inna Uruymagov’s cancer is breaking through the skin. Three of the ladies will go there tomorrow morning to pray for her. They live maybe 2-3 blocks from where the ladies are staying. And I have been able to change my ticket and will remain here four more days, which I will be spending with Vadim and Inna. Instead of leaving on Monday the 27th, I will depart on Thursday the 30th and arrive back in Ft. Myers on Friday evening at 4:30 PM. I will have to spend Thursday evening in the Amsterdam airport but I must be with them at this time of crisis. God is still the healer and I’ll be praying for the display of His power in her life and body.

Join with me in prayer, on the 28th till the 30th, specifically and also be in prayer for her from beginning now.

Soliciting your prayers,

Dr D

No comments: