Saturday, April 18, 2009

WALK-WALK-WALK-TEACH-WALK-TEACH-APPOINTMENT-PREACH

These words describe another busy day in my life here in Ukraine. Late to bed (or was it early to bed this morning) because of final preparation and completing all records for the day. Then not making it all through the night even with the help of Tylenol PM. So we walk to the Church - five long blocks carrying everything needed for today. But only to get there and discover that I left my extension cord with all its electrical adapters attached to it back in the flat where we stay. So, I walk back to the flat, get the cord, then walk back to the Church to finish the set up – the video camera, the power supply and the projector along with the computer.

The leads to three hours of teaching, a break for lunch and a walk back to the flat. After a quick meal the pastor took us out to see the Ukrainian Wall. That’s right! There is the Great Wall of China and Ukraine has its own wall. It extends twenty-six kilometers from sea to sea across just outside of present day Armyansk. It was built by the Crimeans to protect Crimea from invaders of the north. It was also a barrier to the invasions of WWI and WWII from the German Armies. Many great historical battles were fought here. Then it was back to the classroom and two more hours of teaching on the subject: Kings And Priests.

I met with Vasily Gapanov, the dean of Zoe (our Ukrainian college) to answer some questions from 3-4:00. When the meeting started the Pastor approached and asked us (Oksana and I) if we wanted to retire to our flat for the evening or attend the Easter Communion Service at 4:00. He said that he would not ask me to speak unless I wanted to speak. I am smart enough – at least at times – to know those words are a request. I responded that I would do what they felt God wanted. It didn’t take long for them to know what God said, for the Assistant Pastor was quoted as saying that he believed I should speak. So, I did! Another hour and one-half of ministry after the meeting with the dean concluded.

Thank God we were then given a ride to the flat, a good meal and the rest of the night off!!!!

So here I am completing the necessary things before I crash onto the bed to see if my body would enjoy just stretching out and relaxing. I am afraid to ask it the question lest it crash now!

Tomorrow is their Easter and instead of having two services – one for the believers and one for the unbelievers they have decided to have just one and put it all together. That will be interesting to see what they mean and do in such occasions. And it means that my message will be confined to 30-35 minutes – from English to Russian. I can do it! No problem! Then we will go to a seaside hotel on the Black Sea run by some believers from Chernivtsi who will then take us to the train on Monday for the journey to Chernivtsi.

God bless and have a great Sunday,

Dr D

No comments: