Tuesday, April 7, 2009

BUSY–BUSY–BUSY–BUT GOOD

We ministered at a ladies meeting in a very nice church in the town of Gorlovka. The car ride is always eventful. Colleen says the pot holes are big enough to have gift shops in them!! Anyway, we were greeted by a group of what I would classify as “old time” Pentecostal women. They are not allowed to wear pants to church and they keep their heads covered with scarves. We showed up dressed in nice “pant” suits and of course not a scarf to be had!! I have to admit that I was immediately intimidated by these very serious-faced ladies, most of whom were over the age of 50. Marilyn greeted the crowd and I was given the “blessing” of being the first to speak. Well, I looked out into the crowd and was immediately stricken with terror. Not a smile in the place!! Well, actually there may have been a couple smilers in the group but I was too nervous to notice. I spoke on not limiting what God can do in your life. I had prepared about 6 pages of notes. By the bottom of page 3 I looked up at these very serious faces and experienced what some might call an anxiety attack. So I immediately closed with “Don’t Limit What God Can Do in Your Life” and I couldn’t get off that stage fast enough!! So much for building my confidence!! I’m a coward and I admit it!! And I guess I should have listened to my own message because I definitely limited God!!

Colleen shared a brief message and Peggy closed the service with a message on obedience and submission. She did such a good job. She was even able to get a few laughs as she shared. At the end, we once again broke into two groups and the ladies of the church lined up for prayer and counseling. I was surprised that a couple of the ladies mentioned that they didn’t want to limit God in their lives. So, to my surprise they were listening after all. It is amazing that these ladies share the same hurts, desires, and dreams that we all have in the US. They are worried about their children getting saved, their husband who has lost his job and is drinking, they have sins in their past that haunt them, single ladies want a Godly husband, and married women want their unsaved husbands to come to the Lord, etc. The prayer time is my favorite time. I feel like we are able to minister to these ladies and hopefully make a difference in their lives.

After services, they church is always gracious and serves us “chai” which means tea in Ukraine. In addition, they serve fruit, chocolate, cakes, and this “Ukrainian” sausage on bread (enough said about that!). Today, however we were blessed with homemade apple butter - it was AWWWWWESOME!!!

Page 2: Dr D

It all began at 4:30 and ended at 10:00. I was picked up by the pastor and driven to one of his daughter churches to see the progress of their new building. Then to his house for tea, some mashed potatoes fried in dough and sour cream, along with some ice-cream. This came along with a chat with the current family members – this is a family of thirteen children and at least six still at home. Then off to service – a leaders meeting.

We arrived and the worship was already underway. I discovered something that I knew but had forgotten. The Church is a very musically minded Church with three different choirs and several groups that lead worship at various times. But each group has their own style of music. You can participate in opera style religious music, traditional, and contemporary music. You get one style before the message and a different one after the message. If you do not prefer one, just wait, yours will be coming up. AND each musician is very talented with trained voices.

I found out that the pastor was very pleased with both Sunday evening message and tonight’s teaching. That was a relief, because I was concerned. I could not tell while delivering. The church is fulfilling its calling in Donetsk. It may be different from what I am accustomed to, but there is something solid there that you must appreciate.

Oh! Yes! I was on the internet live both services. So who knows who or how many people were watching.
Then it was back to the pastor’s house for some fellowship and food. Really it was to drop of the family who filled the van and to fellowship and then we took the 30 minute journey over the potholes on the road to my abode and a sharing time with the ladies.

Guess what? I have been told that I have to go shopping with the Ladies tomorrow morning at nine – that’s 9:00 AM – so pray for me.

Thanks for you prayers,

Dr D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

keep me posted, in advance, if you will be on the net again.
Chip